THE SOUTHERN SARDINE RUN EXPERIENCE WITH RAGGY CHARTERS 2018
The Sardine Run is a unique and unforgettable experience, every year during April and May vast shoals of sardines make their way past Algoa Bay up the east coast of South Africa chased by every marine predator imaginable.
Thousands of common dolphins race to school up the sardines into a tightly packed bait ball at the surface of the water. Cape Gannets then shower down on these Sardines from above while the common dolphins, brydes whales and several shark species are seen feeding from below.
With Raggy Charters our guests get to experience this thrilling phenomenon topside from one of our two Safety Authority certified motorised catamarans. We only offer topside viewing as we find that it allows the photographers to stick with the action and therefore not miss out on any great sightings. The BBC have used Raggy Charters for filming the sardine run multiple times and recommend us for our excellent knowledge of the area and its marine life. Read more about the sardine run.
Raggy Charters has put together a 'Surf and Turf' package with Alan Tours for 2018. We are offering offer a 5 Night Sardine Run and Big 5 package where we will spend 2 days at sea following the whales, dolphins, penguins, seals, sharks and other birds which are chasing these huge shoals of fish. 2 days will then be spent on land at various game reserves searching for the Big 5 (lion, rhino, elephant, buffalo, and leopard), as well as numerous game species and birdlife.
Our package includes:
- 5 nights accommodation including breakfast
- 2 days at sea (covering Algoa Bay and beyond)
- 1 day at Addo Elephant National Park
- 1 visit to Cape Recife Nature Reserve (excluding SAMREC)
- 1 game reserve experience
- Lunch daily
- Transfers from/to accommodation
- Travel insurance
- Evening meals
As the sardine run is a marine based experience all accommodation arragned will be in Port Elizabeth and in sight of the Indian Ocean.
PRICE FROM R16,500 PER PERSON SHARING
Day One: Arrival at Port Elizabeth airport and transfer to accommodation
Day Two: Sardine run boat trip in Algoa Bay (heading East towards Bird Island)
Day Three: Sardine run boat trip in Algoa Bay (heading West to the Wildside)
Day Four: Full day at Addo Elephant National Park
Day Five: Morning at Cape Recife Nature Reserve (lighthouse tour and bird watching) and afternoon at a private game reserve for a 'tooth and claw' afternoon game drive
Day Six: Transfer to airport and departure from Port Elizabeth
8th - 13th April 2018 (Sea days: 9th & 10th weather permitting)
29th April - 4th May 2018 (Sea days: 30th & 1st weather permitting)
20th-25th May 2018 (Sea days: 21st & 22nd weather permitting)
*Sea days and land days may be swapped around depending on the weather to ensure all activities are fitted in!*
We are also giving guests the option of extending their stay by choosing any of the various add-on days:
- Addo National Park: Kabouga Section (for a real African experience in the bush)
- Sardine Run Boat Trip (for an extra glance at this amazing phenomenon of whales, dolphins, penguins, gannets and more all in a feeding frenzie)
- Penguin Patrol Experience (for an educational outing seeing the endangered African penguin at St Croix Island, SAMREC and Bayworld)
- City Tour & Woody Cape Day Out (for a historic guide to South African culture)
- Country Roads Western District (to experience a different side to Port Elizabeth)
- Garden Route Tour (For a little bit more of South Africa)
If you wish to dive/snorkel with the sardine run we recommend our friends over at Pro Dive, who are the only other reputable company in Algoa Bay which offer sardine run cruises.
Please contact us for further information and prices.